Monday, November 8, 2010

How To ...... Zine






According to the urban dictionary definition Rohlfball is :
Amazingly fun game created by Physical Education teacher Kim Rohlfing. This sport is now played at four high schools in the Kansas City Area. Rohlfball is just like volleyball except for a few key points: -It is played on an outdoor tennis court -The ball MUST bounce between every hit -The serve must be between the sidelines of a singles court, but after the serve out of bounds lines are the boundaries of a doubles tennis court -Rohlfball is played with a kickball, also called a four square ball
Also...
A game played on a tennis court that is played by kids wearing skinny jeans. A kickball is used like a soccer/volleyball and has to bounce at least once after each volley.
all I can say at this point is that I wish I could have had Mr. Rohlf as my P.E. teacher at Lee's Summit

oh... and it's mostly a "traveler kid / hobo" game... for example... a typical  Rohlfball outfit may include one or more of the following aspects, very tight jeans, plaid flannel shirt, boots, utility like belts with pocket knives, and handkerchief around the neck. 

I'm planning on using gesture drawings and a few black and white photos, and architectural hand lettering.

2 comments:

  1. Good. Look for ways to make the diagrams you collected more like the gesture drawings that you intend to do. I assume you are going to still try to make all of this fit into the hobo style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I intend to make everything by hand including the diagrams. As far as the "hobo style" is concerned I intend to pay homage to the hobo's that play the game, who introduced the game to me, rather than limiting the type of players and making the game only played by hobos.

    ReplyDelete